Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 whole chicken, cleaned and cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons dried chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice
Special equipment needed:
- Large wok or frying pan
- Wooden spoon or spatula
1. In a dry wok or frying pan, toast the Szechuan peppercorns and chili flakes until fragrant. Remove from heat and grind into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and sesame oil.
3. Heat the wok or frying pan over high heat and add a tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add the chicken pieces and stir-fry until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Add the bell peppers and onion and stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Pour in the sauce and stir to coat the chicken and vegetables.
7. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of water to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the wok and stir until the sauce thickens.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve hot with cooked rice.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Chicken can be substituted with tofu or shrimp.
- Szechuan peppercorns can be substituted with black peppercorns.
- Dried chili flakes can be substituted with fresh chili peppers.
- Soy sauce can be substituted with tamari or coconut aminos.
- Oyster sauce can be substituted with hoisin sauce or mushroom sauce.
- Rice vinegar can be substituted with apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- Brown sugar can be substituted with honey or maple syrup.
- Sesame oil can be substituted with vegetable oil or peanut oil.
- Bell peppers and onion can be substituted with any vegetables of your choice.
- Add chopped scallions or cilantro for garnish.
- Add sliced mushrooms or bamboo shoots for extra flavor.
- Make it spicier by adding more chili flakes or fresh chili peppers.
- Make it milder by omitting the chili flakes or using less.
- Add a tablespoon of cornstarch to the marinade to make the chicken more tender.
Tips and tricks:
- Cut the chicken into small pieces for faster cooking.
- Marinate the chicken in the sauce for at least 30 minutes for more flavor.
- Use a non-stick wok or frying pan to prevent sticking.
- Stir-fry the chicken and vegetables in batches to prevent overcrowding.
- Add a splash of water or chicken broth if the sauce is too thick.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
Serve in a large bowl or on a platter with cooked rice on the side.
Chopped scallions or cilantro
Steamed vegetables or a side salad
Suggested side dishes:
Steamed broccoli, bok choy, or green beans
- If the chicken is dry, it may have been overcooked. Try reducing the cooking time or marinating the chicken for longer.
- If the sauce is too thick, add a splash of water or chicken broth to thin it out.
- If the sauce is too thin, add more cornstarch slurry and stir until thickened.
Food safety advice:
- Always wash your hands and surfaces before and after handling raw chicken.
- Cook chicken to an internal temperature of 165°F to ensure it is safe to eat.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator within 2 hours of cooking.
Szechuan cuisine is known for its bold and spicy flavors, often featuring the use of Szechuan peppercorns and chili peppers. Ayam Betutu is a traditional Balinese dish made with chicken that is marinated in a mixture of spices and then wrapped in banana leaves and steamed or grilled.
Spicy, savory, sweet, and tangy
Serve hot with cooked rice and steamed vegetables or a side salad.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A