Ingredients with Measurements:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or any other cheese of your choice)
Special Equipment Needed:
- Rolling pin
- Large skillet
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. Add the olive oil and warm water, and mix until a dough forms.
3. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, then cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin circle.
5. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
6. Place the dough in the skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Flip the dough and spread the spinach and cheese evenly over the surface.
8. Cover the skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Flip the dough and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
10. Cut into wedges and serve.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Temperature: Medium heat
Serving Size: 4-6
Substitutions for Ingredients
- All-purpose flour can be substituted with whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend.
- Olive oil can be substituted with any other cooking oil.
- Cheese can be substituted with any other type of cheese.
- Add other vegetables such as bell peppers, mushrooms, or onions.
- Add herbs and spices such as garlic powder, oregano, or basil.
- Add a protein such as cooked chicken or ground beef.
Tips and Tricks:
- Make sure to roll out the dough as thin as possible for a crispier texture.
- Make sure to cook the dough on both sides until golden brown.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat in a skillet over medium heat until warm.
Serve the saj bread with a side of yogurt or hummus.
Garnish with fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro.
Pair with a salad or soup.
Suggested Side Dishes:
- Roasted vegetables
- If the dough is too sticky, add more flour.
- If the dough is too dry, add more water.
Food Safety Advice:
Make sure to cook the dough thoroughly before eating.
Saj bread is a traditional Middle Eastern flatbread that is cooked on a hot griddle.
This dish has a savory flavor with a hint of sweetness from the cheese.
Serve as an appetizer or a side dish.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A