Ingredients with Measurements:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped olives
Special Equipment Needed:
- Rolling pin
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
3. Add olive oil and warm water and mix until a dough forms.
4. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
5. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece out into a thin circle.
6. Place the circles on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
7. Sprinkle sesame seeds, feta cheese, and olives on top of each circle.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
Serving Size: 8
Substitutions for Ingredients
- All-purpose flour: whole wheat flour
- Olive oil: vegetable oil
- Feta cheese: goat cheese
- Olives: capers
- Add other herbs and spices such as oregano, thyme, or rosemary
- Add other vegetables such as tomatoes, onions, or bell peppers
- Add other cheeses such as cheddar or mozzarella
Tips and Tricks:
- Use a light hand when rolling out the dough to ensure a thin and crispy saj bread.
- Make sure the feta and olives are evenly distributed on top of the saj bread.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Reheat in a preheated 350°F oven for 5-10 minutes.
Serve the saj bread with a side of hummus or tzatziki sauce.
- Chopped parsley
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped tomatoes
- Tzatziki sauce
- Yogurt sauce
Suggested Side Dishes:
- Greek salad
- Roasted vegetables
- Grilled chicken
- If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
- If the dough is too dry, add a little more water.
Food Safety Advice:
- Make sure all ingredients are fresh and not expired.
- Make sure all utensils and surfaces are clean before use.
Saj bread is a traditional Middle Eastern flatbread that is made with a thin dough and cooked on a hot griddle. It is typically served with feta cheese, olives, and other toppings.
This saj bread has a savory flavor from the feta cheese and olives, and a nutty flavor from the sesame seeds.
Serve as an appetizer or snack with a side of hummus or tzatziki sauce.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A
Region: Middle Eastern