Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 pound Raschera d'Alpeggio cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme leaves for garnish
Special equipment needed:
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a large mixing bowl, toss the potatoes and onions with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
4. Spread the potato and onion mixture evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Roast the potatoes and onions in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
6. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle the Raschera d'Alpeggio cheese over the top of the potatoes and onions.
7. Return the baking sheet to the oven and continue roasting for another 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
8. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
9. Garnish with fresh thyme leaves and serve hot.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
This recipe serves 4-6 people.
Substitutions for ingredients:
- You can use any type of cheese that melts well, such as fontina or gouda, instead of Raschera d'Alpeggio cheese.
- You can use sweet potatoes or yams instead of regular potatoes.
- You can use shallots instead of onions.
- Add chopped bacon or pancetta to the potato and onion mixture before roasting.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the potato and onion mixture before roasting.
- Top the roasted potatoes and onions with chopped fresh parsley or chives instead of thyme leaves.
Tips and tricks:
- Make sure to cut the potatoes and onions into small, even-sized pieces so that they cook evenly.
- Use a non-stick baking sheet or line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- If the cheese is not melting as quickly as you'd like, you can broil the dish for a minute or two to help it along.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place the leftovers in a preheated oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
Serve the roasted potatoes and onions in a large serving dish and sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves.
Garnish with fresh thyme leaves.
This dish pairs well with a crisp green salad and a glass of white wine.
Suggested side dishes:
Serve with a side of roasted vegetables or a crusty baguette.
If the cheese is not melting properly, try broiling the dish for a minute or two to help it along.
Food safety advice:
Make sure to wash your hands and all utensils and surfaces that come into contact with raw potatoes and onions to prevent the spread of bacteria.
Raschera d'Alpeggio is a semi-hard cheese that is made in the Alpine regions of Italy. It is traditionally made from cow's milk and has a nutty, slightly sweet flavor.
This dish is savory and cheesy with a crispy texture from the roasted potatoes and onions.
Serve this dish as a main course with a side salad or as a side dish to accompany a larger meal.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A