Ingredients with Measurements:
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup Queso Roncal cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Special equipment needed:
- Deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pot
- Food processor or potato masher
1. Boil the diced potatoes in a pot of salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash the potatoes using a food processor or potato masher until smooth.
2. Add the grated Queso Roncal cheese, flour, salt, and pepper to the mashed potatoes. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly combined.
3. Form the potato mixture into small croquettes, about 2 inches in diameter.
4. Dip each croquette into the beaten eggs, then coat with breadcrumbs.
5. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pot until it reaches 350°F.
6. Fry the croquettes in the hot oil until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
7. Serve the Queso Roncal and Potato Croquettes hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Oil temperature: 350°F
Makes about 12 croquettes
Calories per serving: 150
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Queso Roncal cheese can be substituted with any hard, aged cheese such as Parmesan or Manchego.
- All-purpose flour can be substituted with gluten-free flour for a gluten-free version.
- Add chopped herbs such as parsley or chives to the potato mixture for added flavor.
- Stuff the croquettes with diced ham or bacon for a meaty version.
Tips and tricks:
- Make sure the oil is hot enough before frying to ensure a crispy exterior.
- Use a slotted spoon or spider to remove the croquettes from the oil to avoid burning yourself.
Store leftover croquettes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat the croquettes in a preheated oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes until heated through.
Serve the croquettes on a platter with a variety of dipping sauces such as aioli, marinara sauce, or salsa.
Garnish the croquettes with chopped herbs such as parsley or chives for added color and flavor.
Pair the Queso Roncal and Potato Croquettes with a crisp white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or a light beer.
Suggested side dishes:
Serve the croquettes with a side salad or roasted vegetables for a complete meal.
- If the croquettes are falling apart during frying, add more breadcrumbs to the coating mixture to help bind the ingredients together.
- If the croquettes are too dry, add a little bit of milk or cream to the potato mixture to moisten it.
Food safety advice:
Make sure to cook the croquettes to an internal temperature of 165°F to ensure they are safe to eat.
Croquettes originated in France in the 19th century and were traditionally made with leftover meat or fish.
The Queso Roncal cheese adds a nutty and slightly sweet flavor to the creamy mashed potatoes.
Serve the Queso Roncal and Potato Croquettes as an appetizer or snack for a party or gathering.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A