Ingredients with Measurements:
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 oz. Quartirolo Lombardo cheese, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and sliced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Special equipment needed:
- Oven or toaster oven
- Grill pan or skillet
1. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 375°F.
2. Place red bell pepper on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the skin is charred and blistered.
3. Remove the pepper from the oven and place it in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
4. Remove the skin and seeds from the pepper and slice it into thin strips.
5. Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium heat.
6. Brush both sides of each slice of bread with olive oil.
7. Place the bread slices on the grill pan or skillet and cook until lightly toasted.
8. Remove the bread from the pan and place the Quartirolo Lombardo cheese slices on top of two of the slices.
9. Place the roasted red pepper slices on top of the cheese.
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
11. Top with the remaining slices of bread.
12. Return the sandwich to the grill pan or skillet and cook until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
13. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Oven or toaster oven: 375°F
Grill pan or skillet: medium heat
This recipe makes 2 sandwiches.
Calories per serving: 410
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Quartirolo Lombardo cheese can be substituted with any mild, soft cheese such as brie or camembert.
- Red bell pepper can be substituted with any other roasted vegetable such as eggplant or zucchini.
- Add sliced prosciutto or salami for a meatier sandwich.
- Use a different type of bread such as ciabatta or sourdough.
- Add arugula or spinach for a fresh, green element.
Tips and tricks:
- To make the roasted red pepper ahead of time, roast it in the oven the day before and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Use a panini press for a more evenly melted cheese.
This sandwich is best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To reheat, place the sandwich in a toaster oven or oven at 350°F for 5-7 minutes, or until heated through.
Serve the sandwich on a wooden cutting board with a side of pickles or olives.
Garnish with fresh herbs such as basil or parsley.
Pair with a crisp white wine such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.
Suggested side dishes:
Serve with a side salad or a bowl of soup.
If the cheese is not melting evenly, cover the sandwich with a lid or foil to trap the heat.
Food safety advice:
Make sure to properly store any leftover ingredients and wash hands and surfaces before and after handling food.
Quartirolo Lombardo is a soft cheese from Lombardy, Italy. It has been made since the 11th century and is traditionally made from cow's milk.
This sandwich is creamy and savory with a hint of sweetness from the roasted red pepper.
Serve as a quick and easy lunch or dinner option.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A