Ingredients with Measurements:
- 12 fresh oysters
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
Special equipment needed:
- Oyster knife
- Baking sheet
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Shuck the oysters and place them on a baking sheet.
3. In a bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, bacon, spinach, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, hot sauce, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
4. Spoon the breadcrumb mixture over the oysters.
5. Bake the oysters for 10-12 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the oysters are cooked through.
6. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
- 2 oysters per person
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Protein: 12g
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Panko breadcrumbs can be used instead of regular breadcrumbs.
- Chopped cooked ham or prosciutto can be used instead of bacon.
- Chopped kale or Swiss chard can be used instead of spinach.
- Oysters Rockefeller can be made by replacing the bacon with chopped cooked spinach and adding a splash of Pernod or anise liqueur to the breadcrumb mixture.
- Oysters Bienville can be made by replacing the bacon with chopped cooked shrimp and adding chopped mushrooms, green onions, and garlic to the breadcrumb mixture.
Tips and tricks:
- Make sure to shuck the oysters carefully to avoid any shell fragments.
- Use fresh oysters for the best flavor.
- Serve the oysters with lemon wedges and hot sauce on the side.
- Oysters Kirkpatrick are best served immediately and should not be stored.
- Oysters Kirkpatrick should not be reheated.
- Serve the oysters on a bed of rock salt or crushed ice.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and chopped parsley.
- Lemon wedges
- Chopped parsley
- Champagne or sparkling wine
- Sauvignon Blanc
Suggested side dishes:
- Grilled asparagus
- Roasted potatoes
- If the oysters are not cooked through after 10-12 minutes, continue baking them until they are fully cooked.
Food safety advice:
- Only use fresh oysters and discard any that are open or have a strong odor.
- Wash your hands and all utensils thoroughly before and after handling raw oysters.
- Oysters Kirkpatrick is a classic Australian dish named after a politician named Lord Kirkpatrick.
- Salty, briny, smoky, spicy, and savory.
- Serve the oysters as an appetizer or a main course.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A