Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 cup of rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 chicken breast, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon of sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 tablespoon of fried shallots
- 1 tablespoon of sliced green onions
Special equipment needed:
- Grill or oven
1. Rinse the rice and add it to a pot with 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook for 18-20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed.
2. While the rice is cooking, prepare the chicken. In a bowl, mix together the garlic, ginger, sweet soy sauce, chili sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, vegetable oil, and water. Add the chicken and mix until it is coated in the marinade. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
3. Preheat the grill or oven to medium-high heat. Grill or bake the chicken for 10-12 minutes or until it is cooked through.
4. To serve, divide the rice into four small portions and wrap each portion in a banana leaf or wax paper. Top each portion with a slice of grilled chicken, fried shallots, and sliced green onions.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Grill or oven at medium-high heat
Calories per serving: 350
Fat per serving: 10g
Carbohydrates per serving: 50g
Protein per serving: 15g
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Chicken breast can be substituted with chicken thighs or tofu for a vegetarian option.
- Sweet soy sauce can be substituted with regular soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Chili sauce can be substituted with hot sauce or sambal oelek.
- Add vegetables such as sliced bell peppers or onions to the marinade.
- Use different types of meat such as beef or pork.
- Add a fried egg on top of the rice for a more filling meal.
Tips and tricks:
- Use a rice cooker for perfectly cooked rice every time.
- Marinate the chicken overnight for more flavor.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is cooked to a safe temperature.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
Serve the wrapped rice on a platter with the chicken slices arranged on top.
Fried shallots and sliced green onions.
Serve with a side of cucumber salad or pickled vegetables.
Suggested side dishes:
Cucumber salad or pickled vegetables.
If the rice is too dry, add a splash of water and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Food safety advice:
Ensure the chicken is cooked to a safe temperature of 165°F.
Nasi Jinggo is a popular street food in Bali, Indonesia. It is typically served in small portions wrapped in banana leaves or wax paper.
Savory, sweet, and spicy.
Serve as a snack or light meal.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A