Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 kg mutton
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups water
Special equipment needed:
- Pressure cooker
1. Wash the mutton and marinate it with yogurt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, and salt. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
2. Wash the rice and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
3. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add bay leaves, green cardamoms, cloves, and cinnamon stick.
4. Add sliced onions and sauté until golden brown.
5. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 2 minutes.
6. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
7. Add marinated mutton and cook for 10 minutes.
8. Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 20 minutes or until the mutton is tender.
9. Once the pressure is released, add soaked rice and mix well.
10. Add 4 cups of water and salt to taste.
11. Pressure cook for 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
12. Serve hot with raita.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Pressure cooker: High pressure
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Lamb can be used instead of mutton.
- Brown rice can be used instead of basmati rice.
- Oil can be used instead of ghee.
- Vegetables like carrots, peas, and potatoes can be added to the pulao.
- Cashews and raisins can be added for a richer taste.
Tips and tricks:
- Marinate the mutton for at least 30 minutes for better flavor.
- Soak the rice for at least 30 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Use a pressure cooker for faster cooking.
Store the pulao in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat the pulao in a microwave or on a stovetop with a little water.
Serve the pulao in a large serving dish with a garnish of fresh coriander leaves.
Fresh coriander leaves
Raita, papad, and pickle
Suggested side dishes:
Mixed vegetable curry, chicken curry, or dal
- If the mutton is not tender, pressure cook for a few more minutes.
- If the rice is not cooked, add a little more water and pressure cook for a few more minutes.
Food safety advice:
- Wash the mutton and rice thoroughly before cooking.
- Use a clean pressure cooker.
Laal Maans Pulao is a popular dish from Rajasthan, India. It is a spicy and flavorful rice dish that is traditionally made with mutton and a variety of spices.
Spicy, flavorful, and aromatic
Serve hot with raita, papad, and pickle.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A