Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 cup of sliced drywors
- 2 cups of sliced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup of diced red onions
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Special equipment needed:
1. In a large bowl, combine the sliced drywors, sliced cucumbers, diced red onions, chopped fresh parsley, and chopped fresh mint.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
3. Pour the dressing over the drywors and cucumber mixture and toss to coat.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: None
- Serve chilled
- 4 servings
- Calories: 210
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Protein: 6g
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Drywors can be substituted with any other type of dried sausage.
- Cucumbers can be substituted with zucchini or any other type of summer squash.
- Red onions can be substituted with any other type of onion.
- Fresh parsley and mint can be substituted with any other fresh herbs.
- Add diced tomatoes or bell peppers for extra color and flavor.
- Use a different type of vinegar, such as balsamic or apple cider vinegar, for a different flavor.
- Add crumbled feta cheese or sliced olives for a Mediterranean twist.
Tips and tricks:
- Make sure to slice the drywors and cucumbers thinly for a better texture.
- If you don't have fresh herbs, you can use dried herbs instead.
- This salad can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Serve in a large bowl or on individual plates.
- This salad pairs well with grilled meats or fish.
Suggested side dishes:
- Serve with crusty bread or a side of rice.
- If the salad is too dry, add more dressing.
- If the salad is too salty, add more cucumbers or other vegetables to balance out the flavors.
Food safety advice:
- Make sure to wash all vegetables before using.
- Store in the refrigerator and discard any leftovers after 2 days.
- Drywors is a type of South African dried sausage that is similar to beef jerky.
- This salad is fresh and tangy with a hint of spice from the drywors.
- Serve as a light lunch or as a side dish for a summer barbecue.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A
Region: South African