Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh damson plums, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 egg, beaten
Special equipment needed:
- 9-inch pie dish
- rolling pin
- pastry brush
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and cubed butter. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Gradually add the ice water and mix until the dough comes together. Shape into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
4. In another mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the sliced damson plums and chopped walnuts, and toss to coat.
5. On a floured surface, roll out the chilled dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to the pie dish and trim the edges.
6. Pour the damson and walnut mixture into the pie crust.
7. Brush the edges of the crust with the beaten egg.
8. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
9. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Chilling time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
Calories per serving: 310
Saturated fat: 8g
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Damson plums can be substituted with any other type of plum or stone fruit.
- Walnuts can be substituted with pecans or almonds.
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice to the filling for a tangy twist.
- Top the pie with a streusel topping made with brown sugar, flour, and butter.
- Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the filling for extra flavor.
Tips and tricks:
- Make sure the butter is cold when making the dough to ensure a flaky crust.
- Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to mix the dough, but be careful not to overwork it.
- Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out to prevent shrinking.
- Use a sharp knife to pit the damson plums.
Store leftover pie in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat individual slices in the microwave or oven until warmed through.
Serve the pie with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Sprinkle chopped walnuts or a dusting of powdered sugar on top of the pie.
Pair the pie with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Suggested side dishes:
Serve the pie with a side of fresh fruit or a green salad.
- If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the edges with foil.
- If the filling is too runny, add more cornstarch.
Food safety advice:
Make sure the pie is cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F to ensure it is safe to eat.
Damson plums have been cultivated in Europe for centuries and were once a popular ingredient in pies and jams.
The pie has a sweet and tart flavor from the damson plums, with a nutty crunch from the walnuts.
Serve the pie warm or at room temperature, with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A