Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Special Equipment Needed:
- Mixing bowl
- Baking dish
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the crab meat, mayonnaise, sour cream, green onions, celery, red bell pepper, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Old Bay seasoning, salt, and pepper.
3. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly combined.
4. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
6. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top of the crab mixture.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the mixture is heated through.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- 4-6 servings
- Calories: 290
- Fat: 20g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Protein: 20g
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Instead of crab meat, you can use canned or fresh shrimp, lobster, or even canned tuna.
- Instead of mayonnaise, you can use Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Instead of sour cream, you can use cream cheese or ricotta cheese.
- Instead of green onions, you can use regular onions or shallots.
- Instead of celery, you can use fennel or carrots.
- Instead of red bell pepper, you can use green bell pepper or jalapeno pepper.
- Instead of Dijon mustard, you can use yellow mustard or honey mustard.
- Instead of Worcestershire sauce, you can use soy sauce or fish sauce.
- Instead of lemon juice, you can use lime juice or white wine vinegar.
- Instead of Old Bay seasoning, you can use Cajun seasoning or Italian seasoning.
- Add chopped bacon or pancetta for a smoky flavor.
- Add chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, dill, or basil for extra freshness.
- Add chopped sun-dried tomatoes or capers for a tangy flavor.
- Add chopped artichoke hearts or spinach for extra greens.
Tips and Tricks:
- Make sure to pick through the crab meat to remove any shells or cartilage.
- Use fresh ingredients for the best flavor.
- Adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Serve with crackers, bread, or vegetables for dipping.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve in individual ramekins for a fancy presentation.
- Garnish with chopped fresh herbs or lemon wedges.
- Chopped fresh herbs
- Lemon wedges
- Crackers or bread
- Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc
- Light beer or lager
Suggested Side Dishes:
- Roasted vegetables
- Garlic bread
- Caesar salad
- If the mixture is too dry, add more mayonnaise or sour cream.
- If the mixture is too wet, add more breadcrumbs or Parmesan cheese.
Food Safety Advice:
- Make sure to store any leftovers in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days.
- Wash your hands and any utensils or surfaces that come into contact with raw seafood.
- Deviled crab is a classic Southern dish that originated in the Chesapeake Bay area.
- Creamy, tangy, and savory.
- Serve as an appetizer or main dish.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A