Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semolina flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
Special equipment needed:
- Mixing bowl
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Small saucepan
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, semolina flour, coconut flakes, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk, until a dough forms.
5. Roll the dough into small balls and shape them into oval shapes.
6. Place the oval-shaped dough onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
7. While the finikia are baking, prepare the pistachio drizzle by heating the honey and chopped pistachios in a small saucepan over low heat until the honey has melted and the pistachios are coated.
8. Once the finikia are done baking, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
9. Drizzle the pistachio mixture over the finikia and let them cool completely before serving.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Makes approximately 20 finikia
Substitutions for ingredients:
- You can use almond flour instead of all-purpose flour for a gluten-free option.
- If you don't have semolina flour, you can use all-purpose flour instead.
- You can use any type of nuts for the pistachio drizzle.
- You can add orange zest to the dough for a citrusy flavor.
- You can add cinnamon to the dough for a warm spice flavor.
- You can dip the finikia in melted chocolate for a decadent treat.
Tips and tricks:
- Make sure the butter is softened before creaming it with the sugar to ensure a smooth mixture.
- Don't overmix the dough or the finikia will become tough.
- Let the finikia cool completely before drizzling with the pistachio mixture to prevent it from melting.
Store the finikia in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
You can reheat the finikia in the oven at 350°F for 5-10 minutes or until warmed through.
Arrange the finikia on a platter and drizzle the pistachio mixture over them. Garnish with additional chopped pistachios.
Serve the finikia with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Suggested side dishes:
Fresh fruit salad
- If the dough is too dry, add a little more milk until it comes together.
- If the dough is too wet, add a little more all-purpose flour until it comes together.
Food safety advice:
Make sure to store the finikia in an airtight container to prevent any contamination.
Finikia is a traditional Greek dessert that is typically made during the Christmas season. It is a sweet pastry that is soaked in honey syrup and flavored with cinnamon and cloves.
Sweet, nutty, and coconutty
Serve the finikia as a dessert or as a sweet snack.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A