Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
Special equipment needed:
- Medium saucepan
- Mixing bowls
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Pie dish
- Kitchen torch (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Place the pre-made pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish and prick the bottom with a fork. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
3. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the heavy cream, whole milk, granulated sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and egg yolks until smooth.
4. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens and starts to boil, about 8-10 minutes.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the chopped semisweet chocolate, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
6. Pour the chocolate mixture into the cooled pie crust and smooth the top with a spatula.
7. Chill the pie in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until set.
8. Once the pie is set, preheat the broiler in your oven.
9. Spread the mini marshmallows over the top of the pie, covering it completely.
10. Place the pie under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden brown and toasted. Alternatively, use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows.
11. Let the pie cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes (for the crust) + 8-10 minutes (for the filling)
Preheat the oven to 375°F for the crust and broil for the marshmallow topping.
This recipe makes one 9-inch pie, serving 8-10 people.
Calories per serving: 358
Saturated Fat: 11g
Substitutions for ingredients:
- You can use a homemade pie crust instead of a pre-made one.
- You can use dark chocolate instead of semisweet chocolate for a richer flavor.
- You can use regular-sized marshmallows instead of mini marshmallows, but you may need to cut them in half to cover the entire pie.
- You can add a layer of sliced bananas or strawberries to the bottom of the pie crust before adding the chocolate filling.
- You can use a graham cracker crust instead of a traditional pie crust.
- You can add a tablespoon of instant espresso powder to the chocolate filling for a mocha flavor.
Tips and tricks:
- Make sure to whisk the chocolate filling constantly while cooking to prevent lumps.
- Let the pie cool completely before adding the marshmallow topping to prevent the chocolate filling from melting.
- Use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows evenly and avoid burning them.
Store the chocolate cream pie with marshmallow topping in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, for up to 3 days.
This pie is best served cold, but you can let it come to room temperature before serving if desired.
Serve the chocolate cream pie with marshmallow topping on a decorative pie plate or cake stand. You can also dust the top with cocoa powder or sprinkle with chocolate shavings for a fancy touch.
Garnish the pie with fresh berries or whipped cream, if desired.
This pie pairs well with a cup of hot coffee or a glass of cold milk.
Suggested side dishes:
Serve the chocolate cream pie with marshmallow topping with a side of vanilla ice cream or fresh fruit salad.
- If the chocolate filling is too thick, you can add a splash of milk to thin it out.
- If the marshmallows are not browning evenly, rotate the pie dish under the broiler or use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows more evenly.
Food safety advice:
Make sure to refrigerate the pie promptly after serving and discard any leftovers after 3 days.
Chocolate cream pie is a classic American dessert that dates back to the early 1900s. It typically consists of a chocolate custard filling and a whipped cream topping, but this recipe adds a fun twist with a toasted marshmallow topping.
This chocolate cream pie with marshmallow topping is rich, creamy, and chocolaty, with a sweet and toasty marshmallow flavor on top.
Serve this pie as a decadent dessert for holidays, special occasions, or any time you want to indulge in something sweet and delicious.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A