Ingredients with Measurements:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated onion
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Special Equipment Needed:
- 9-inch round cake pan
- Mixing bowl
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the oil and sugar until combined.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
5. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
7. Fold in the grated onion and chocolate chips.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread evenly.
9. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
10. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40-45 minutes
Serving Size: 8-10
Substitutions for Ingredients
- Vegetable oil: canola oil or melted butter
- Granulated sugar: light brown sugar
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: dark chocolate chips or white chocolate chips
- Add 1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans for a crunchy texture
- Add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon for a hint of spice
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded coconut for a tropical flavor
Tips and Tricks:
- Make sure to mix the batter just until combined, otherwise the cake will be dense and heavy.
- For a lighter cake, use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Reheat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.
- Dust with powdered sugar
- Drizzle with melted chocolate
- Top with fresh berries
- Whipped cream
- Chopped nuts
- Chocolate shavings
- Vanilla ice cream
- Caramel sauce
- Fresh fruit
Suggested Side Dishes:
- Roasted vegetables
- Mashed potatoes
- Green salad
- If the cake is too dry, add a few tablespoons of milk to the batter.
- If the cake is too wet, add a few tablespoons of flour to the batter.
Food Safety Advice:
- Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature before mixing.
- Make sure to use a clean bowl and utensils when mixing the batter.
Chocolate chip onion cake is a classic dessert that has been around for decades. It is a favorite among many and is often served at family gatherings and special occasions.
This cake has a sweet and savory flavor with hints of chocolate and onion.
This cake is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A