Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 pound boerewors sausage
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Special equipment needed:
- Skillet or frying pan
1. Preheat a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the chopped bacon to the skillet and cook until crispy, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Remove the bacon from the skillet and set it aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
4. Add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet and cook until they are tender and lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and set them aside.
6. Add the olive oil to the skillet and heat it over medium-high heat.
7. Add the boerewors sausage to the skillet and cook until it is browned on all sides and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
8. Once the boerewors sausage is cooked, add the bacon and mushrooms back to the skillet.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
10. Serve hot.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Medium-high heat
- 4 servings
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Protein: 22g
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Boerewors sausage can be substituted with any other type of sausage.
- Bacon can be substituted with pancetta or prosciutto.
- Mushrooms can be substituted with any other type of vegetable.
- Add diced onions and garlic to the skillet for extra flavor.
- Top with grated cheese before serving.
- Serve over a bed of rice or with a side of roasted vegetables.
Tips and tricks:
- Make sure to cook the boerewors sausage thoroughly to avoid any foodborne illnesses.
- Use a non-stick skillet to prevent the sausage from sticking to the pan.
- Don't overcrowd the skillet, as this can prevent the sausage from cooking evenly.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
- Serve on a platter with toothpicks for easy snacking.
- Garnish with fresh herbs, such as parsley or cilantro.
- Serve with a cold beer or a glass of red wine.
Suggested side dishes:
- Roasted vegetables
- Mashed potatoes
- Rice pilaf
- If the sausage is not cooking evenly, adjust the heat and turn it frequently to ensure it cooks through.
Food safety advice:
- Make sure to cook the sausage thoroughly to avoid any foodborne illnesses.
- Boerewors sausage is a traditional South African sausage made with beef and pork.
- Savory, smoky, and slightly spicy.
- Serve as an appetizer or main dish.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A
Region: South African