Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 pound Boerewors sausage
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Special equipment needed:
- Grill or grill pan
1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
2. In a small bowl, mix together chopped apples, sage, and olive oil. Set aside.
3. Season Boerewors sausage with salt and pepper.
4. Grill Boerewors sausage for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through and browned on all sides.
5. During the last 5 minutes of grilling, add the apple and sage mixture to the grill or grill pan, stirring occasionally, until the apples are softened and lightly charred.
6. Serve Boerewors sausage with the apple and sage mixture on top.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Grill or grill pan at medium-high heat
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Boerewors sausage can be substituted with any type of sausage.
- Apples can be substituted with pears or peaches.
- Sage can be substituted with thyme or rosemary.
- Add sliced onions to the apple and sage mixture.
- Serve Boerewors sausage on a bun with the apple and sage mixture as a topping.
- Add a splash of apple cider vinegar to the apple and sage mixture for a tangy flavor.
Tips and tricks:
- Make sure to oil the grill or grill pan before grilling to prevent sticking.
- Don't overcook the apples, as they will turn mushy.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure the Boerewors sausage is cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
Serve on a platter with the apple and sage mixture on top.
Garnish with fresh sage leaves.
Pair with a crisp green salad or roasted vegetables.
Suggested side dishes:
Serve with roasted potatoes or sweet potato fries.
If the sausage is sticking to the grill or grill pan, use a spatula to gently release it.
Food safety advice:
Make sure to cook the Boerewors sausage to an internal temperature of 160°F to ensure it is safe to eat.
Boerewors is a traditional South African sausage made with beef and pork, flavored with spices like coriander and cloves.
The Boerewors sausage has a savory and slightly spicy flavor, while the apple and sage mixture adds a sweet and herbaceous note.
Serve as a main dish for lunch or dinner.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A
Region: South African