Ingredients with Measurements:
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 cup jaggery
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Oil for deep frying
Special equipment needed:
- Heavy bottomed pan for jaggery syrup
1. In a heavy bottomed pan, melt jaggery with water over medium heat until it forms a thick syrup.
2. Add mashed bananas and cardamom powder to the jaggery syrup and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, mix rice flour with enough water to form a smooth dough.
4. Take small portions of the dough and flatten them into thin discs.
5. Place a spoonful of the banana-jaggery mixture in the center of each disc and fold it over to form a half-moon shape.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat.
7. Fry the ariselu until they turn golden brown and crispy.
8. Drain excess oil on a paper towel.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Medium heat for jaggery syrup and frying
Makes 20-25 ariselu
Calories per serving: 150
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Brown sugar can be used instead of jaggery.
- Wheat flour can be used instead of rice flour.
- Add chopped nuts or raisins to the banana-jaggery mixture for added texture.
- Use coconut oil for frying for a unique flavor.
Tips and tricks:
- Make sure the jaggery syrup is thick enough to hold its shape when mixed with the bananas.
- Use a non-stick pan for frying to prevent sticking.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Reheat in a microwave for 10-15 seconds or in a preheated oven at 350°F for 5-7 minutes.
Arrange the ariselu on a platter and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Sprinkle with chopped nuts or coconut flakes.
Serve with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Suggested side dishes:
- If the jaggery syrup is too thin, the ariselu will be soggy.
- If the dough is too dry, add more water.
Food safety advice:
Make sure the oil is heated to the correct temperature to prevent undercooked ariselu.
Ariselu is a traditional sweet dish from Andhra Pradesh, India.
Sweet, nutty, and aromatic with hints of banana and cardamom.
Serve as a dessert or snack.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A