Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 pound okra (bamiyeh)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
Special equipment needed: None
1. Rinse the okra and trim off the stem ends. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the diced tomatoes, salt, black pepper, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, and sugar. Stir to combine.
4. Add the okra and water to the skillet. Stir to combine.
5. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the okra is tender.
6. Serve hot with rice or bread.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
5. Temperature: Medium heat
Serving size: 4 servings
Substitutions for ingredients:
- Okra can be substituted with green beans or zucchini.
- Olive oil can be substituted with vegetable oil or butter.
- Cumin, paprika, and cinnamon can be substituted with curry powder.
- Add diced chicken or beef to the skillet for a meaty version.
- Add chopped bell peppers or carrots for extra flavor and nutrition.
- Use fresh tomatoes instead of canned for a fresher taste.
Tips and tricks:
- To prevent the okra from becoming slimy, do not overcook it.
- If the tomato sauce is too thick, add more water.
- For a spicier version, add red pepper flakes or hot sauce.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
Serve in a shallow bowl with a sprinkle of fresh parsley or cilantro on top.
Fresh parsley or cilantro
Suggested side dishes:
- Grilled vegetables
- Roasted potatoes
- If the okra is too slimy, rinse it with cold water before cooking.
- If the tomato sauce is too thin, simmer it uncovered for a few minutes to thicken it.
Food safety advice:
- Wash your hands and all utensils before and after handling raw vegetables.
- Cook the okra to an internal temperature of 165°F to ensure it is safe to eat.
Bamiyeh with tomato sauce is a traditional Middle Eastern dish that is popular in countries such as Iran, Iraq, and Turkey.
The dish has a tangy and slightly sweet tomato sauce that is spiced with cumin, paprika, and cinnamon. The okra adds a slightly earthy and nutty flavor to the dish.
Serve hot with rice or bread for a filling and satisfying meal.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A