Ingredients with Measurements:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, grated
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Special equipment needed:
- Grill or grill pan
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, grated onion, breadcrumbs, parsley, mint, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
2. Divide the meat mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a long sausage shape around the skewers. Press the meat firmly around the skewer to ensure it sticks together.
3. Preheat the grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the kebabs with vegetable oil and place them on the grill. Cook for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until the meat is cooked through and charred on the outside.
4. While the kebabs are cooking, prepare the sauce. In a small saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, lemon juice, water, honey, and cornstarch. Whisk well to combine and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
5. Serve the kebabs hot with the tomato sauce on the side.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Grill or grill pan over medium-high heat
Substitutions for ingredients:
Ground beef can be substituted with ground lamb or ground chicken. Breadcrumbs can be substituted with panko breadcrumbs or almond flour. Tomato sauce can be substituted with canned crushed tomatoes or ketchup.
Add chopped bell peppers or zucchini to the kebab mixture for added flavor and nutrition. Use different spices such as turmeric, cinnamon, or sumac for a different flavor profile.
Tips and tricks:
Soak the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before using them to prevent them from burning on the grill. Use a meat thermometer to ensure the meat is cooked to the desired temperature (160°F for ground beef).
Leftover kebabs can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat the kebabs in the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat until heated through.
Serve the kebabs on a platter with the tomato sauce on the side. Garnish with fresh herbs such as parsley or mint.
Fresh herbs such as parsley or mint.
Bamiyeh kebab pairs well with rice pilaf or a simple salad.
Suggested side dishes:
Hummus, tabbouleh, or grilled vegetables.
If the kebabs are falling apart on the grill, make sure the meat mixture is well-combined and press the meat firmly around the skewer. If the sauce is too thick, add more water to thin it out.
Food safety advice:
Make sure the meat is cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F to ensure it is safe to eat. Wash your hands and all surfaces that come into contact with raw meat to prevent cross-contamination.
Bamiyeh kebab is a traditional Middle Eastern dish that is popular in Iran and Iraq. It is typically made with ground beef or lamb and flavored with a variety of spices.
Bamiyeh kebab has a savory and slightly spicy flavor from the combination of ground beef, spices, and tomato sauce.
Serve the kebabs with rice pilaf and a side of hummus for a complete Middle Eastern meal.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A