Ingredients with Measurements:
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons of chopped dark chocolate
- 4 sheets of filo pastry
Special Equipment Needed:
- Baking sheet
- Pastry brush
- Small bowl
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, light brown sugar, cocoa powder, chopped walnuts, and chopped dark chocolate.
3. Place one sheet of filo pastry on a baking sheet.
4. Brush the filo pastry with the butter mixture.
5. Place the banana slices on top of the filo pastry.
6. Top the banana slices with the remaining butter mixture.
7. Place the remaining three sheets of filo pastry on top of the banana slices.
8. Brush the top of the filo pastry with the remaining butter mixture.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until the filo pastry is golden brown.
10. Serve warm.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serving Size: 4
Substitutions for Ingredients
- For the melted butter, you can use coconut oil or olive oil.
- For the light brown sugar, you can use granulated sugar or coconut sugar.
- For the cocoa powder, you can use carob powder.
- For the chopped walnuts, you can use chopped almonds or cashews.
- For the chopped dark chocolate, you can use chopped white chocolate or dark chocolate chips.
- For a vegan version, you can use vegan butter and vegan chocolate.
- For a gluten-free version, you can use gluten-free filo pastry.
Tips and Tricks:
- Make sure to brush each layer of filo pastry with the butter mixture to ensure that the parcels are crispy and golden brown.
- You can add other ingredients such as raisins, dried cranberries, or shredded coconut to the butter mixture for extra flavor.
Store the baked banana and chocolate filo parcels in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Reheat the baked banana and chocolate filo parcels in a 350°F oven for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve the baked banana and chocolate filo parcels with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.
- Sprinkle the parcels with chopped nuts or shredded coconut for a decorative touch.
- Chopped nuts
- Shredded coconut
- Whipped cream
- Ice cream
- Vanilla ice cream
- Greek yogurt
- Fresh fruit
Suggested Side Dishes:
- Roasted vegetables
- Green salad
- Fruit salad
- If the filo pastry is not golden brown after baking, increase the oven temperature to 375°F and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Food Safety Advice:
- Make sure to store the baked banana and chocolate filo parcels in the refrigerator to prevent spoilage.
- Make sure to reheat the parcels before serving.
Filo pastry is a type of pastry that has been used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine for centuries. It is traditionally used to make sweet and savory dishes such as baklava and spanakopita.
This dish has a sweet and nutty flavor from the melted butter, light brown sugar, cocoa powder, chopped walnuts, and chopped dark chocolate. The banana slices add a subtle sweetness and the filo pastry adds a light and crispy texture.
- Serve the baked banana and chocolate filo parcels as a dessert.
- Serve the parcels as a snack with a cup of coffee or tea.
Cooking Method: N/A
Course Type: N/A
Meal type: N/A